|What's New in VIPER||
VIPER - Enhanced Version - Login Required
VIPER - Standard Version - No Login Required
On January 15, 2013, a beta release of the updated viewer for VIPER was released. Please choose from the options above to access data. If you have an existing username / password, feel free to access the enhanced version. Both versions have a similar look and feel, however the Standard version will have the majority of the layers that most users will require.
In August of 2008, The Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) launched an emergency management system named the Virginia Interoperability Picture for Emergency Response (VIPER) that has transformed how it prepares for emergencies and responds to disasters. The web based platform integrates map and data feeds from across a number of systems, integrating views of information from all phases of emergency management (mitigation, preparedness, response, recovery). Emergency managers, partner agencies and other officials are able to see a more integrated view in order to enhance situational awareness for a number of events. VIPER was used to support missions for "Snowmaggedon" in Virginia during February 2010 and the Presidential Inauguration in 2009. VIPER can also incorporate information from neighoring states, so when events have a multi-jurisdictional impact, information can more seamlessly be shared across those geographic and political boundaries. VIPER provides the Virginia Emergency Operations Center (VEOC) with the ability to visually assess statewide emergency management operations in real time.
- May 2010 - Innovation in Technology from the Center for Digital Government
- April 2010 - Innovation and Technology Award from the Virginia Emergency Management Association (VEMA)
- November 2009 - International Association of Emergency Managers - Technology & Innovation Award (Division 2, State/Regional National Government, International, or Non-Profit Organization)
- September 2009 - Governor's Technology Award for IT as an Efficiency Driver
- July 2009 - Special Achievement in GIS (SAG) Award for Operationalizing GIS from ESRI